Tuesday, January 18, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman Review

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)If I Stay by Gayle Forman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is an interesting premise. Mia is in a horrible car accident and steps out of her body. She follows herself to the hospital and watches as the drama continues to unfold. The story is told from memories and the current moment. Mia is in a position to choose whether she stays in her body and goes with her family. It's not a religious or spiritual book. It's YA Literature.

Although the premise is heart-wrenching and the descriptions gut-twisting, I just didn't connect to Mia or her parents. I felt a sadness about Teddy and I connected to some extent with Adam. Mostly, I felt like the story was contrived and drawn out. I think I already feel traumatized when this story plays out in real life. By creating a fictional character and adding details about her cello, her boyfriend, summer orchestra camp, it trivialized the tragedy of real life events. Although I am convinced the author was trying to personalize it.

I'm glad I read it. I won't read it again.

2 comments:

Beth S. said...

That's interesting that you didn't connect with Mia and her parents because all I could think about when I was reading the book was how much I wish my family was like Mia's. I also loved the musical aspect of the book too, but I played classical piano for 13 years so that probably has something to do with why I felt a connection with the characters.

Ann Summerville said...

I haven't read this. Thanks for the review.
Ann