Thursday, December 22, 2011

If We Kiss by Rachel Vail

If We KissIf We Kiss by Rachel Vail
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Goodreads: What would happen if we kiss?
Kevin led me quickly around the side of the building, then stopped. I managed not to crash into him. I tried to look calm, cool, unperturbed. I told myself not to laugh, especially not a snorting kind of laugh. "Wha . . . what did . . ."
And then he kissed me.
If We Kiss is the story of Charlotte (Charlie to her friends), who finds herself falling for a boy who is off-limits. Her best friend is in love with him, and her mother and his father are dating. Still, Charlie can't help but wonder, what would happen if we kiss?
My take: When I started reading: The first chapter threw me off because Kevin, hot-guy, kind of grabs Celeste and takes her to a corner and gives her a first kiss. So I spent the first half of the book trying to figure out why he did what he did and why she likes him. I didn't think I'd like the book.

Well into the book: I finally figured it out. Celeste is 14. She doesn't need a reason to like Kevin beyond the fact that he's cute and he kissed her. It doesn't matter why he did it and it doesn't matter that I don't find him endearing, Celeste did. Which reminded me...

Of my first kiss which was a lot like that. Exciting a gross. We block those things out when we're adults but Vail completely captures the experience of first crushes and first kisses. Did I assume I wouldn't taste him? I didn't think about it but I did. It wasn't pleasant, as Celeste describes. What's up with the tongue? Serious gross factor for the first kiss. Me? I kept my mouth closed and came away feeling like I'd just kissed a St. Bernard with his tongue hanging out.

Bottom line is that Vail captures the mentality and thinking process of a 14 year old. Why did she kiss Kevin back? Same reason I kissed Alan. He was there and kissed me. Duh. Why did she have a crush on Kevin? Same reason I crushed on most of my crushes in my teenage years. They were cute and they were there. Another duh. I can't recall a sparkling personality that drew me into the dating arena (besides my own, of course). Just cute guys with nice smiles and twinkling eyes. It's shallow and it can't be described. Yet Vail does a great job of it.

The other part so very well captures is the girl friend relationship. Best friends will do almost anything for each other. They also make each other laugh so hard over stupid things that there is no way that even a guy will stay long between them. It is more substantial simply because they have stood the test of time.

Fun read. Teenagers will love it. Parents will "get" their daughters and remember how it used to be before we got boring.

1 comment:

La Toya said...

Ah! This does sound like a charming reading after I read through your entire review lol. I didn't think I'd like this kind of book either but I will give it a chance.

xo,
Lah @ LazyGirl Reads