Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Battleborn by Claire Vaye Watkins

BattlebornBattleborn by Claire Vaye Watkins
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

The prose is beautiful but often uses foreign phrases that might be more common in the desert where the stories take place. At times the sentences lack meaning while getting caught up in the beautiful prose.

Admittedly, I found myself caught up in the story and unable to put the book down until I reached the end of each story. Yet at the end of each story I was left scratching my head and asking myself what happened..

I didn't get it.

Beautiful writing aside, the overall feeling of each story is disturbing and laid wasted. The ending is no ending but a continuation of life without happiness or meaningful change. It's more like a snapshot day of a meaningless day in the life of a sexual deviant, lonely person the rest of the world has forgotten, or a person who simply does not have the drive to change but will continue to succumb to the vast nothingness of the desert life.

View all my reviews

No comments: