Sunday, August 4, 2013

Visions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Account of the Last Days by John Pontius

Visions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Account of the Last DaysVisions of Glory: One Man's Astonishing Account of the Last Days by John Pontius
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Description: In this true account of near-death experiences, we learn about the miracles of the millennium, the return of the Ten Tribes, the building of the New Jerusalem and Temple, and many other astonishing events long prophesied in scripture but never before described in such vivid detail. Visions of Glory is a mesmerizing and fascinating read that you will not be able to put down.

My thoughts: There is no genre for this book. How do I review a book like this?

My first introduction to the book came from a friend who had just read it during a horrible time of loss. I was glad for her that she found some peace for her broken heart and shattered soul. Admittedly, I brushed it off as a balm for her grief. Not that it lessens the impact, I just thought it was a wonderful gift for her. But she told me a few of the basics which is that the author has had experiences where his mortal body died and he had visions and revelations shown to him that were personal and detailed. He felt impressed to not share his experiences and he did not except with one very spiritually gifted friend who agreed with him to keep these things in his heart and ponder them until the time was right and he felt inspired to share.

When the time came for him to share the experiences again, it was with John Pontius, an LDS author. Through hours of dictation, he shared all he could but the author, Pontius, changed certain identifying details so the man stays anonymous.

It's not really something I feel like I have the capacity and articulation to discuss. I have no doubt that these visions and revelations occurred and they were specific for this man. The details and chronology is incredible. Even though the visions were specifically for this man, the visions included the Last Days and the Millennium. Much can be gleaned from his visions and they complement what we know from scripture and modern day revelation in the LDS faith. It is difficult reading, honestly. Even though he doesn't understand all of it and he doesn't understand if it is literal or metaphorical, the journey to Zion is personal and fraught danger and frightening experiences. The over reaching message seems to be that we will all have to make our own journeys through the refining process of becoming spiritual beings. It is a process with a steep learning curve.

I'd rather not say more about it simply because the voice of the author, Pontius, does an exceptional job articulating what I fail to find words to explain.

For me it was an eye opening experience and resonated loudly.

View all my reviews

No comments: