Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg Mckeown

Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of LessEssentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg Mckeown
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is exactly what I needed to read at exactly the right moment. As I have felt my life spiralling out of control, this is the book I picked up. The author gleans from the best and most successful people and their philosophy and supports his stance that, with a proper personal mission statement, SMART goals, and a willingness to simplify and change our perspective, we can prioritize and live, work, play a more meaningful life. His philosophy is one that supports greater joy with family, less clutter and better use of time in all aspects.

My favorite and most meaningful truism that I gained is that if we don't clearly make boundaries, someone else will make them for us. He gave the example of an executive who was asked to come on a Saturday for a meeting. He told his supervisor he would not come since that is his designated family day. The supervisor returned after discussing it with the other peers who agreed to come instead on Sunday. This executive felt the pressure to conform yet again declined by explaining that Sunday was his day to worship God. He gained respect for his personal time and values. Although not expressly stated, I discovered that when I have not set clear boundaries and give the extra mile consistently, I've set the norm. Boundaries, purpose and goals are essential to a fulfilling life in every aspect.

This book encompasses all that is taught in books by successful leaders like Stephen Covey, Clay Christensen, Henry Eyering, to name a few. It was what I needed.


No comments: