Saturday, March 15, 2014

Power to BecomePower to Become by David A. Bednar
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the third book in a series of books exploring the Savior's Atonement and how we apply it to ourselves. The first book was LEARNING. The second was ACTING. The third is BECOMING. It is not enough to merely believe or act but by being actively engaged in becoming perfected and becoming God's sons and daughters, it becomes an intrinsic part of who we are.

This is not a nice little book with pat platitudes that make us feel more spiritual. This is a book that the reader can fully engage. Purposely written with wide margins for personal notes, the author and publisher collaborated on a new format for delving deeper. At the end of every chapter are questions to explore and plenty of space to write thoughts and impressions. Additionally, the reader can scan the QR code or type in a web address that directs the reader to the publisher's site and watch videos that Elder Bednar and his wife discuss with a group these pertinent ideas.

My favorite chapter gave me a promise of personal peace. Drawing on scriptures, conference talks, and other discourses, Elder Bednar gently led me to a convincing stance that I can, through my Savior, enjoy the blessing of personal peace as I walk on the path of "becoming."

When choosing to study this book, prepare for a journey. Prepare for the incremental steps of becoming.

View all my reviews

No comments: