Saturday, April 2, 2016

Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben

Fool Me OnceFool Me Once by Harlan Coben
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Typical Harlan Coban; well written, multiple possibilities, strong protagonist that does not give up, and a surprise ending. I'm going to add that Coban writes a good thriller/ crime novel that is readable and does not contain the usual filler colorful metaphors. If one of my teenagers decided to pick this up and start reading, I'd not be running for my white out pen. His command of the English language is such that it never has to sink to the gutter level.

There is a crime or two or three or four. Enough details are shared to get the picture yet less is more. The reader is not traumatized by all the gory details. Maya's sister was tortured and murdered. Details? Unnecessary. It's an adult crime book. The author leaves the details to the reader. And that is the way of Coban's writing. He's telling a story, revealing clues and possibilities away. Not trying to shock or gag the reader. I really appreciate that.

It's a solid 4 and a half star book.

No comments: