Sunday, November 13, 2016

Review: The Girl Before

The Girl Before The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This psychological thriller began as I expected, already certain I knew the plot and ending while wondering why, then, was a wasting my time. The presentation of the story definitely hooked me as there were two narrators and two timelines. That said, both women bore striking resemblances to one another in appearances and experiences. This strengthened my belief that it was a plot I'd already read. Then things started to change shape.

None of the characters are particularly likeable but the narrators also turn out to be somewhat unreliable which I found intriguing as I looked at the way information was cleverly presented to the reader to lead the thought process off direction without the narrator changing the story within her own head.

The sex is a little too salacious for my taste yet details were sparse, innuendo doing the most work. Besides the sex, the book offered a compelling thriller with story twists I didn't see coming, red herrings planted just so, then discredited, then questioned, then new possibilities arise...

Solid thriller.

View all my reviews

No comments: